Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Black Hole Sun...

This week I would like to explore the aspect of the sun and the role it plays in vampire novels. This was the first time the sun had killed characters in the novels we have read. In I am Lengend the vampire zombie like creatures did not some out in the sun light, but it never killed on of the main characters. In Interview with the Vampire the sun light killed not only one character, but two. In the previous novels we had explored the use of garlic as an anti-vampire technique, but I believe that the most powerful tool one can use if that of the sun. I believe this because the sun gives a person half the day, like in I am Leged Neville used to the sun to his advantage. In Interview with the Vampire it was the demise of two vampire characters. The death of Claudia is a pivotial point in the novel, because it draws Louis inward. He begins to step back to live life crouching. Claudia was irreplaceable. Eventhough she thought that she was replaceable, Louis is not the same after her demise.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is very interesting that you talk about the idea of sun and vampires. I agree with you when you say that the use of sun is more powerful to kill a vampire than garlic or any other techniques used. However I wonder if it is more powerful than a stake through the heart? Most vampires are smart enough not to go into the sunlight but they cannot escape if someone is trying to stake them. I mean if you look at a more modern Vampire story like “The Vampire Diaries” you see that they can walk in sunlight because of special rings that they wear but it does not save them from stakes. So really in that the only way to kill these vampires is to stake them. So I think in most Vampire stories sunlight is the biggest threat to vampires but I would argue that getting staked is equally as threatening as sunlight.

    ReplyDelete