My objectives for this semester are to obtain a better understanding of the literary texts that we will be reading in order to obtain a better understanding of what the "Vampire" novel is. The objective of my blog in relation to this will be to pose questions and analysis of the required readings.
Wednesday, December 8, 2010
Let the Right One In
First, I would like to start this post by saying that this novel was very difficult to follow at first, but looking back it was very well written. I had a very hard time following the novel and all the different stories going on when I had first started reading the novel; however, after about the first quarter of the novel I found the way it was written to be the only way the story could be written. The story became easy to follow and I found myself looking forward to what was going to happen next. I was disappointed in myself because I read a couple of reviews online which ended up ruining the novel because I knew what was going to happen along the way. I did learn my lesson and will never do that again because it ruined a lot of twists in the road. I did find the characters of Eli and Hakan to be very disturbing. Hakan in the beginning of the novel was very decieving and freightning. When he killed the young man on the path and left him hanging from the tree I think that was the point when I said to myself, "what in the heck is going on in this novel". When I was done reading the book I did say to myself, "what did I just read?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you offer a good insight into how a reader may become over saturated due to continual shifts in narrative. Comparatively, I found the shifting POV's allowed almost a form of 'creative non fiction' authenticity, while side lining poetry. Instead of using memoir style writing, the POV shifts create a legitimate consciousness through story and heavy substance. I am also wondering, knowing how you feel with the narrative changes, how did you feel about this novels shifts in POV compared with Dracula?
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with you when you talk about the writing because it is definitely a different writing style. I was used to it because I had previously read “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” which had the exact same writing style. (So if this novel intrigued you I would definitely recommend reading this trilogy.) I too also think that both Eli and Haken were both disturbing charecters. However I think that Haken was more disturbing. I say this because Eli was to ashamed of what she was to kill so she used Haken to do her dirty work. Killing is a vampires nature, it’s the way they survive so when they try not to do this but yet she was disturbed enough to corrupt someone to do the killing for her. And since Haken was killing for her he is definitely disturbed and I think hands down the most disturbed character in this novel.
ReplyDelete